Monday, October 16, 2006

The Power of Music

Music has been called the universal language. It reaches out to people everywhere and tugs at our emotional strings. It can inspire rage or love. It is a mystery.

Last Thursday, I went to a concert with several of my friends from college and from home. It was a good time. Third Day was playing here in Kalamazoo, and they were bringing the David Crowder Band and Hyperstatic Union with them. When we heard that Crowder was coming, we knew we had to go.

They put on a good show. I like especially how the DCB had a screen up with their song lyrics posted so we could sing along and worship with them instead of just listening to them.

Third day was good, but I've seen shows of theirs that were better. For me, though, one of there songs really stood out. They sang an old hymn. One that I think I recognized, but didn't really know. We sang along with Mac Powell as he played it on his acoustic guitar, and the song came to a quiet end and the lights dimmed to blackness. For a few seconds, the entire stadium was completely black and completely silent. Then suddenly, the entire stage burst into a brilliant yellow light and the hymn resumed once more, this time with the full rock band playing. In that moment, I gasped and rose out of my seat to praise God with Third Day. It was a fantastic moment and one that will probably remain with me forever.

But the thing that occurred to me as it happened, was that it wasn't the Holy Spirit, or at least, it wasn't just the Spirit that made it so special. The band created a moment entirely from musical arrangement and lighting. It was powerful, it was a God experience, and it was created by man.

That is the power of music.

It has gone on through the ages, ever since God created man, we've been singing songs about Him, about this world, and about each other. Music has a definite power that transcends everyday conversation. Why else would David write the Pslams, singing his prayers to the Lord rather than simply telling Him?

I admire those who have the gift to create music. Whether they have a wonderful voice or a fantastic talent in playing an instrument, it is assuredly God's gift to them and to those of us that can enjoy that emotional experience they've made from their soul.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that's wonderful that you had such an experience through music. I used to be part of a Youth Praise and Worship music group back in...oh...10th grade or so. We sang the song "He Reigns" for our last song at our concerts. One I remember in particular almost brings me to tears now.

We are all standing in the bleachers, singing to approximately 35 or 40 people, I'm guessing. The last part of "He Reigns" is completely accapella with just us singing, no instruments. The people in the audience starting rising to their feet and clapping and holding their hands up to the roof. We just kept singing...way farther than we were supposed to. But the crowd didn't want us to stop. We were singing this over and over: "It's all God's children singing Glory Glory, Halleleuja He reigns, He reigns" It was amazing. One of the best feelings I've ever had in my life.

So, I guess I can kind of identify...now that I don't know if I believe in God or not, the story doesn't come to mind as often as it used to but it still gives me chills.

Ryan said...

That's awesome. I've had very similar moments like that, where you just end up singing the same thing over and over. It doesn't get boring like you know it should, and you just want to keep singing it forever so that feeling will never go away.

I think that you had a definite God experience and not one created simply from music. There is a profound difference in the way you feel when you're emotionally stirred up and when God stirs you up. Songs like the Newsboys' "He Reigns" tend to do things like that.