Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Autumn in Full Bloom

Fall is here. The trees are now bursting with their full spectrum of reds, yellows and oranges we've come to expect every year here in Michigan. Right now it's raining, and the sky was overcast the entire day. It is the type of day that I think of when I hear the word Autumn.

Personally, I like warm weather. I'm a summer type of guy. I typically think of Fall as the season where everything dies and leads into the frigid Michigan winters, full of frozen rain and black ice. But there is just something about Autumn that I feel connected to. Something I can't really explain. It might be because I was born in the Fall. Today, I felt more like myself than I have in a while. I don't know why, and I'm not even sure what that means.

I have a connection to fall. It is a special time for me. When the leaves change, the days get shorter, the clouds cover the sky, and the cold rushes in, it brings me to a very somber emotional state. As much as I say that I hate Autumn, it is the time that I feel most comfortable and thoughtful.

It's now time to pop in some Third Day and embrace whatever strange connection I have with this season. I say Third Day because for some reason, I associate music with different times of the year, as well as a particular mood that the weather creates in me. Third Day just happened to have released a few albums in the fall, especially in November around my birthday. Third Day's album "Time" always brings back birthday and fall memories for me, and therefore I listen to it around that time of year.

Tomorrow, I'm going to the Third Day/David Crowder Band concert here in town. I should be fun. Friends from nearly all areas of my life are going, so it should be interesting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a great picture. Did you take that today? Actually, I love Fall as well. I can't explain it either, but I've had a lot of great things happen spiritually in the Fall, so it seems like this time of year always creates a unique anticipation for God to do something in my life. Have fun at the concert. I'll see ya on saturday.

Ryan said...

Actually, I got that picture from a google search. It's good to know that I'm not the only one with this fall phenomenon. Thanks for commenting.