Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Music Recommendation: A Collision by The David Crowder Band



I'm not a huge fan of Christian music. I'm very picky in what I like, and to me, a lot of Christian music sounds the same. The same style of artists with similar sounding voices singing pretty much the same lyrics as everyone else doesn't really peak my interest. I'm not saying saying that Christian music is bad, or that you shouldn't listen to it. I'm just overly critical about what I like.

I took a risk with the David Crowder Band. Last fall, I received a coupon for a couple of cds at a certain Christian mail order music club. I started browsing the site and looked up some cds at Amazon.com. I use Amazon to check all the reviews on music and movies before buying them. The reviews for A Collision were tremendous. There were so many good reviews, and I liked enough of what I heard from the samples that I decided to take a chance and purchase it with the coupon.

At first, I wasn't sure if I liked it or not. I wasn't thrilled with Crowder's voice. The more I listened to it, though, the more it grew on me. It is very much a worship album. But David Crowder Band does something that most worship bands don't: come up with original lyrics and unique music. Never once do you hear a direct quote from the Bible in the lyrics. I consider this a good thing. I've heard the same verses repeated in so many worship songs that they've almost lost their meaning.

Instead, they come up with heartfelt praise and worship God in their own words. The music doesn't follow the typical church worship song patterns at all. Every song is unique and refreshing. And A Collision has everything. Acoustic, electronica, blue grass - new ways to worship God on every track.

But most of all, I love the moods that the album sets. Moods are probably the largest decider on what music I listen to. A Collision goes from invitation, to praise, to joy, to emotional quite times, and back to praise. Then it comes back and does it again. It turns anyone's time into a full-on, intimate worship session with God. I've personally listened to only this album for weeks at a time and loved praising Him through it - and I'm still not sick of hearing it. I give it the honor of being my first music review and my highest recommendation on this site.

No comments: